Friday, May 8, 2015

Media Review: OSA Vocal's Caravan

First of all, I want to acknowledge the incredible talent and amount of work put into this show. Hella good performers! I think my favorite performance came from Barbara, a freshman with an amazing voice who stunned the crowd with a Nigerian song. She received a well deserved standing ovation.

The only issues I had with the show were not vocal-related. First, it seemed like the microphones were very unbalanced for the first half, and it took away from the performance. Second, the show had an odd relationship with race. It was amazing to share and perform songs from around the world, but it seemed like the singers were casted because of their physical appearance. Also, during Barbara's Nigerian melody, images of stained glass church windows were used, seemingly celebrating colonialism.

Lastly, Jada Banks-Mace closed out the show with an incredible performance of Into the Moon. In 8th grade, her performance at the vocal show convinced me to stay at OSA rather than leave for Oakland Tech. Tonight she reminded me why I stuck around so long.

No comments:

Post a Comment